DOWNTOWN MILLBURN DESIGN REVIEW PROGRAM 2018
The mission of the Downtown Millburn Design Review Committee is to promote the use of appropriate design and architectural elements in the downtown district that are consistently of high quality and are visually appealing.
Members of the Design Review Committee are professional architects, designers, business people and residents who volunteer their time and professional expertise to improve the visual image of Downtown Millburn.
Downtown Millburn encourages all businesses located within the downtown district that are planning to renovate/improve their storefronts to submit plans to the Design Review Committee (DRC). Reviews are conducted on exterior improvements or changes to a building including facade painting or re-facing, signs, or awnings. Recommendations of the DRC are provided to the Township Planning Board and the Board of Adjustment, as requested. All signage in the Downtown Improvement District is required to be reviewed by the Design Review Committee before the building department issues a sign permit. Our review will help you through the Millburn Township approval process. We may be able to note any non-conforming issues or zoning concerns to avoid potential delays.
Applicants are encouraged to meet with the committee or a member of the committee on an informal basis prior to designing their sign to discuss options and creative solutions for their proposed signage.
The Design Review Committee meets on the third Thursday of each month at
6:00 pm. In 2018, the Committee will meet on the following dates:
Applicants must call the Downtown Millburn office to schedule a review meeting date. Review materials must be received in our office, 44 Main Street, Suite 2 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the above dates.
Please be sure to include the following materials as part of your submission to the Design Review Committee:
1. Address of property being modified.
2. Contact name and phone number of business or applicant.
3. Color photographs of the property as existing today.
4. Dimensions of the storefront (current and proposed)
5. Drawing/Rendering of proposed project. Awnings and signs should be shown on building, in color and in scale.
6. Dimensions of all proposed project elements (height/width of sign, awning, etc.)
7. Description of proposed materials to be used (wood, metal, vinyl, etc.)
8. Color and/or fabric samples of proposed paint, siding, or awning
9. Description of the style of the proposed work (i.e. carved sign, painted sign)
10. Description and/or sample of proposed illumination
11. Any additional information necessary to help understand your alteration/addition.
Considerations of the DRC in determining appropriate design include:
1. The architectural value and aesthetic significance of the building and its relationship to the architectural and aesthetic value of the surrounding area.
2. The general compatibility of the exterior design, arrangement, materials and/or colors proposed to be used to surrounding buildings and elements.
3. Adherence to the provisions contained within the Township zoning ordinances.
4. Signage and awning design and colors should be sympathetic, compatible and appropriate for the building and fa9ade upon which it is located
Please Keep The Following In Mind:
- Fabric awnings are preferred-Vinyl awnings discouraged
- Box Signs (with internal lighting) are discouraged in lieu of creative wall mounted signs
- Bare Bulb illumination is not permitted
- Projecting signs are not permitted without obtaining a variance
- No sign may extend above the second floor line
- Applicants and their sign companies should review the STREET GRAPHICS section of the Millburn Township Zoning Ordinance for the complete regulations that govern signs for the zone in which their project is located
Click here to view the Street Graphics Ordinance
Downtown Millburn design review extends only to the exterior features of a stucture. Downtown Millburn Endorsements are for aesthetics only. Downtown Millburn review and/or endorsement does not take the place of Township approvals.
All permits and applications required by the Township of Millburn must be completed, submitted and approved by the Township of Millburn Building Department and/or Board of Adjustment/Planning Board as applicable.
Thank you for your interest in improving and promoting an attractive and visually appealing downtown. If you have any additional questions, please contact:
DOWNTOWN MILLBURN 44 Main Street, Suite 2 Millburn, New Jersey 07041 973-379-2341